May 29, 2012 by Vinnie Leduc
It took the anticipated decade-long return of the Men in Black to slow the Avengers train, which three-peated last week. Despite not being able to join The Hunger Games as the only other movie this year to four-peat, Marvel’s superhero super-blockbuster is set to overtake The Dark Knight for third place on the all-time domestic box office list later this week. Meanwhile, last weekend’s disastrous maiden voyage for Battleship continued to sink faster than John Carter en route to Flop City (nice knowing you, Taylor Kitsch’s career), and newcomer The Chernobyl Diaries fell out of the top five once Memorial Day Monday’s numbers were factored into the extended holiday’s grosses.
Here were four-day extended holiday numbers for the top five via BOM:
- Men in Black 3 — Weekend Gross: $69.3 million — Total Gross: $69.3 million (new)
- The Avengers — Weekend Gross: $47.2 million — Total Gross: $523.9 million (#1 last week)
- Battleship — Weekend Gross: $13.9 million — Total Gross: $47.4 million (#2 last week)
- The Dictator — Weekend Gross: $11.5 million — Total Gross: $43.3 million (#3 last week)
- Dark Shadows — Weekend Gross: $9.4 million — Total Gross: $64.9 million (#4 last week)