June 4, 2012 by Vinnie Leduc
One of our ten most anticipated movies of the year, Snow White and the Huntsman debuted as the fairest of them all at the domestic box office this weekend. The darker, hotter version of the Grimm fairy tale scored $56.2 million, good for the fourth highest opening of 2012 so far (behind The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax). In addition, its take nearly matched the entire run of rival film Mirror Mirror, and it’s already more than what Battleship has made in three weekends despite having a smaller budget.
The Avengers overtook The Dark Knight for third place on the all-time domestic box office list. At a grand total of $553 million and counting, it’s got a little over $100 million of catch-up to do to reach Titanic and another $100 million after that to challenge king of the world Avatar.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- Snow White and the Huntsman — Weekend Gross: $56.2 million — Total Gross: $56.2 million (new)
- Men in Black 3 — Weekend Gross: $28.1 million — Total Gross: $111.1 million (#1 last week)
- The Avengers — Weekend Gross: $20.5 million — Total Gross: $553 million (#2 last week)
- Battleship — Weekend Gross: $5.1 million — Total Gross: $55.4 million (#3 last week)
- The Dictator — Weekend Gross: $4.7 million — Total Gross: $50.8 million (#4 last week)