January 14, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
Fueled by its recent Oscar nominations, military thriller Zero Dark Thirty captured the top spot at the domestic box office as it expanded from limited release. This spoiled the debuts of Wayans Brothers spoof A Haunted House and one of our most anticipated movies of 2013, Gangster Squad, which were both close behind Zero Dark Thirty at second and third, respectively.
After popping the year’s cherry in 2013’s opening weekend with a somewhat surprising victory, Texas Chainsaw 3D showed just how bad bad word of mouth can be by plummeting all the way down to ninth place in its sophomore weekend. Another pair of Best Picture Oscar candidates rounded out the top five, which you can check out below via BOM. Quentin Tarantino’s acclaimed Western thriller Django Unchained took fourth, and musical Les Misérables slipped to fifth.
- Zero Dark Thirty — Weekend Gross: $24.4 million — Total Gross: $29.9 million (#16 last week)
- A Haunted House — Weekend Gross: $18.1 million — Total Gross: $18.1 million (new)
- Gangster Squad — Weekend Gross: $17.1 million — Total Gross: $17.1 million (new)
- Django Unchained — Weekend Gross: $11.0 million — Total Gross: $125.4 million (#2 last week)
- Les Misérables — Weekend Gross: $9.6 million — Total Gross: $118.7 million (#4 last week)