January 22, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
Only Jessica Chastain can beat Jessica Chastain. After capturing the top spot at the domestic box office as it expanded from limited release last weekend, military manhunt thriller Zero Dark Thirty was beaten over the extended Martin Luther King, Jr., holiday weekend by newcomer horror movie Mama. Both films star Jessica Chastain, who is nominated for Best Actress at the upcoming Oscars for her role in the Best Motion Picture nominee Zero Dark Thirty and who’s already won the award at this year’s Golden Globes. Expanding wide this weekend and taking third place was another Best Picture nominee, Silver Linings Playbook, with competition against Chastain for Best Actress in Jessica Lawrence.
This pushed holdover Gangster Squad, a crime thriller that’s one of our most anticipated movies of 2013, to fourth, less than half a million ahead of newcomer Broken City, another crime thriller that opened weakly despite starring Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe. However, Broken City didn’t flop as badly as the last of the weekend’s newcomers, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s action comeback in The Last Stand, which finished in ninth place and could potentially terminate any chances of the Governator being back on the silver screen in the future.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- Mama — Weekend Gross: $28.4 million — Total Gross: $28.4 million (new)
- Zero Dark Thirty — Weekend Gross: $15.8 million — Total Gross: $54.1 million (#1 last week)
- Silver Linings Playbook — Weekend Gross: $10.8 million — Total Gross: $54.7 million (#10 last week)
- Gangster Squad — Weekend Gross: $8.6 million — Total Gross: $31.8 million (#3 last week)
- Broken City — Weekend Gross: $8.3 million — Total Gross: $8.3 million (new)