February 25, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
The closest race over Oscar weekend turned out to be the one at the domestic box office as Identity Thief reclaimed the pole position it debuted at two weeks ago after a runner-up finish last week. Reigning champ A Good Day to Die Hard fell hard and rounded out the top five, which you can check out below via BOM. Newcomer Snitch, a drug crime drama starring Dwayne Johnson, settled for second place, less than a $1 million behind Identity Thief.
Only a little over another half million separated the next three movies as computer animated family flick Escape From Planet Earth and Nicholas spark romance adaptation Safe Haven switched places. Lastly, the other new major release, Dark Skies, was overshadowed in its sixth place opening.
- Identity Thief — Weekend Gross: $14.0 million — Total Gross: $93.6 million (#2 last week)
- Snitch — Weekend Gross: $13.2 million — Total Gross: $13.2 million (new)
- Escape From Planet Earth — Weekend Gross: $10.7 million — Total Gross: $34.8 million (#4 last week)
- Safe Haven — Weekend Gross: $10.5 million — Total Gross: $47.9 million (#3 last week)
- A Good Day to Die Hard — Weekend Gross: $10.2 million — Total Gross: $52.0 million (#1 last week)