January 28, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
After two straight weeks of Jessica Chastain movies ruling the domestic box office, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters opened over the weekend to easily beat Mama, the reigning champ last weekend, and Zero Dark Thirty, the reigning champ the previous weekend and runner-up last weekend. With 2013’s first weekend taken by Texas Chainsaw 3D, the win by Hansel and Gretal made this the third weekend out of four so far this year to be topped by horror movies.
After expanding to wide release last weekend, Oscar Best Picture nominee Silver Linings Playbook slipped from the final podium position down to fourth, barely behind military manhunt thriller Zero Dark Thirty, which expanded to wide the weekend before, also slipped a spot this weekend, and is also an Oscar Best Picture nominee. The two acclaimed movies, both featuring multiple Oscar nominations including one for Best Actress, have been neck and neck in total gross this month. Zero Dark Thirty currently is edging Silver Linings Playbook by less than $1 million.
Hansel & Gretel may have eaten their way to the first in its debut, but the other two newcomers didn’t come close to serving size as both crime thriller Parker and comedy collection Movie 43 flopped. Only Parker, starring Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez, was able to crack the top five, which you can check out below via BOM:
- Hansel & Gretel: Vampire Hunters — Weekend Gross: $19.7 million — Total Gross: $19.7 million (new)
- Mama — Weekend Gross: $13.1 million — Total Gross: $48.9 million (#1 last week)
- Zero Dark Thirty — Weekend Gross: $9.7 million — Total Gross: $69.8 million (#2 last week)
- Silver Linings Playbook — Weekend Gross: $9.4 million — Total Gross: $68.9 million (#3 last week)
- Parker — Weekend Gross: $7.0 million — Total Gross: $7.0 million (new)