November 11, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
Thor: The Dark World overshadowed the entire domestic box office in its dominating debut over the weekend. Starring Chris Hemsworth, the Thor sequel didn’t enjoy an opening anywhere as big as Marvel’s most popular Avenger did when Iron Man 3 rocketed to the second highest launch ever earlier this year, but the thunder from down under still left everything else far behind in its dust.
Eating it the hardest was last weekend’s reigning champ, Ender’s Game, which lost about 2/3 of its numbers in its sophomore weekend. In a tight four-way race for second place, Ender’s Game finished last and fifth overall. One of our most anticipated movies of the year, the adaptation of the bestselling young adult sci-fi novel still has still only grossed less than half of its $110 production budget after a couple weekends at the domestic box office.
Coming out on top of the runner-up race was Bad Grandpa maintaining second place in its third weekend. The Jackass spin-off comedy narrowly beat 3D computer-animated buddy comedy Free Birds and geriatric buddy comedy Last Vegas, both of which trailed Bad Grandpa by less than $300,000 in their second weekends and actually switched places from their opening slots.
The upcoming weekend will once again surely be dominated by Thor 2 as the only new release will be rom-com sequel The Best Man Holiday.
Here are the numbers for the top five over the weekend via BOM:
- Thor: The Dark World — Weekend Gross: $85.7 million — Total Gross: $85.7 million (new)
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa — Weekend Gross: $11.3 million — Total Gross: $78.8 million (#2 last week)
- Free Birds — Weekend Gross: $11.1 million — Total Gross: $30.1 million (#4 last week)
- Last Vegas — Weekend Gross: $11.0 million — Total Gross: $33.5 million (#3 last week)
- Ender’s Game — Weekend Gross: $12.8 million — Total Gross: $218.9 million (#2 last week)