October 27, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
After becoming just the second movie of the year to three-peat at the domestic box office, Gravity was finally taken down over the weekend by a comedy that had neither star power nor critical acclaim, Jackass spin-off comedy Bad Grandpa. Alfonso Cuarón’s 3D sci-fi spectacle settled for second place and broke the $200 million milestone, which is about twice its production cost.
In its third weekend, Paul Greengrass’ Captain Phillips slipped to third place, but the Tom Hanks action thriller still held a sizable lead over The Counselor, which flopped in its debut despite boasting an all-star cast, multiple Oscar-nominated director Ridley Scott, and the acclaimed writer behind No Country For Old Men. Rounding out the top five was 3D computer-animated adventure Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 in its fifth weekend.
The upcoming weekend introduces a trio of new releases: 3D computer-animated buddy comedy Free Birds, geriatric buddy comedy Last Vegas, and one of our most anticipated movies of the year, bestseller sci-fi adaptation Ender’s Game.
Here are the numbers for the top five over the weekend via BOM:
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa — Weekend Gross: $32.1 million — Total Gross: $32.1 million (new)
- Gravity — Weekend Gross: $20.1 million — Total Gross: $199.6 million (#1 last week)
- Captain Phillips — Weekend Gross: $11.6 million — Total Gross: $70.0 million (#2 last week)
- The Counselor — Weekend Gross: $7.8 million — Total Gross: $7.8 million (new)
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 — Weekend Gross: $6.3 million — Total Gross: $100.8 million (#5 last week)