Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted showed that New York’s favorite zoo animals were still North America’s most wanted as DreamWorks Animation’s CGI three-quel held strongly onto the top spot at the domestic box office over Father’s Day weekend. Prometheus slid into the silver position again and has already become the top grossing film of the Alien series. Both new releases, ’80s musical Rock of Ages and Adam Sandler comedy That’s My Boy, flopped and had to fight each other for the remaining scraps, with the former’s ensemble cast ultimately nosing ahead of Sandler’s return to R-rated territory, a move that perhaps limited attendance to his older loyal fans despite the film’s theme aligning with Father’s Day.
Ultra-hit blockbuster The Avengers finally fell out of the top five for the first time since its record-shattering release, but it should become only the third movie to cross the $600 million mark in the next week or so. Snow White and the Huntsman rounded out the top five, which you can check out below via BOM:
- Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — Weekend Gross: $34.1 million — Total Gross: $119 million (#1 last week)
- Prometheus — Weekend Gross: $20.7 million — Total Gross: $89.4 million (#2 last week)
- Rock of Ages — Weekend Gross: $14.4 million — Total Gross: $14.4 million (new)
- That’s My Boy — Weekend Gross: $13.5 million — Total Gross: $13.5 million (new)
- Snow White and the Huntsman — Weekend Gross: $13.3 million — Total Gross: $122.1 million (#3 last week)