The first summer blockbuster of 2012 is officially on its way to become one of the biggest ever as it denied Think Like A Man the second three-peat of the year. The Avengers accomplished what The Hunger Games couldn’t a couple months ago, when its opening feast was big enough for third place all-time. Marvel’s team of superheroes didn’t just break… it shattered the record for highest grossing opening weekend of all time at the domestic box office with an estimated $200 million; the previous high was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2‘s $169 million debut last summer.
As the first movie ever to cross the $200 million mark in three days, The Avengers broke Spider-Man 3‘s record for highest Friday gross and also set new records for highest Saturday and Sunday grosses as well. Your move, Batman.
The Avengers also made MediaStinger news by absolutely smashing the top user-voted stinger rating, previously held by Thor, by over six times the score. The extra scenes during and after The Avengers, the latter of which was an exclusive to the U.S., currently stand at +440 and still counting.
The Hunger Games will add insult to injury to the final Harry Potter when Katniss & co. will soon overtake last summer’s blockbuster for 14th on the all-time grossing list. It barely edged out The Lucky One and The Pirates! Band of Misfits to maintain a spot on the medal podium under Think Like A Man.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- The Avengers — Weekend Gross: $207.4 million — Total Gross: $207.4 million (new)
- Think Like A Man – Weekend Gross: $8.1 million — Total Gross: $73.1 million (#1 last week)
- The Hunger Games — Weekend Gross: $5.6 million — Total Gross: $380.6 million (#3 last week)
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits — Weekend Gross: $5.5 million — Total Gross: $18.7 million (#2 last week)
- The Lucky One — Weekend Gross: $5.4 million — Total Gross: $47.8 million (#4 last week)