May 1, 2012 by Vinnie Leduc
After ending the four-week reign of The Hunger Games atop the domestic box office last week, Think Like A Man remained strong enough to repeat. It held off four new challengers in the last spring weekend before the summer season kicks off Friday with The Avengers, one of our most anticipated films of the year.
The biggest competition the reigning champ faced was from Aardman’s first stop-motion animated venture into 3D, The Pirates! Band of Misfits. Second place is first loser, and considering The Pirates! only plundered its way to the studio’s lowest opening ever, it may be walking the plank soon. In an extremely close race to medal, The Hunger Games held onto third place to edge out The Lucky One and The Five-Year Engagement for fourth and fifth, respectively.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- Think Like A Man — Weekend Gross: $17.6 million — Total Gross: $17.6 million (#1 last week)
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits – Weekend Gross: $11.1 million — Total Gross: $11.1 million (new)
- The Hunger Games — Weekend Gross: $10.814 million — Total Gross: $372 million (#2 last week)
- The Lucky One — Weekend Gross: $10.808 million — Total Gross: $39.4 million (#2 last week)
- The Five-Year Engagement — Weekend Gross: $10.6 million — Total Gross: $10.6 million (new)