April 23, 2012 by Vinnie Leduc
After topping the weekend domestic box office for four consecutive weeks (a feat not accomplished since Avatar), popular young adult book series adaptation The Hunger Games was finally defeated by a couple of surprising newcomers, both of which are also literary adaptations. African-American comedy Think Like A Man, which is based on Steve Harvey’s self-help book, claimed the gold medal, while Zac Efron romance/drama The Lucky One grabbed second place.
In fourth place was another newcomer, Chimpanzee, which celebrated Earth Day by debuting with the highest gross for a nature documentary and third-highest gross for any documentary ever. The Three Stooges rounded out the top five, which you can see details of below via BOM:
- Think Like A Man — Weekend Gross: $33 million — Total Gross: $33 million (new)
- The Lucky One — Weekend Gross: $22.8 million — Total Gross: $22.8 million (new)
- The Hunger Games — Weekend Gross: $14.5 million — Total Gross: $356.9 (#1 last week)
- Chimpanzee — Weekend Gross: $10.2 million — Total Gross: $10.2 million (new)
- The Three Stooges — Weekend Gross: $9.2 million — Total Gross: $29.4 million (#2 last week)