April 3, 2012 by Vinnie Leduc
With two new releases underperforming at the domestic box office last weekend, the odds were once again in the champion’s favor. After breaking various records in its widely acclaimed and celebrated debut last week, The Hunger Games enjoyed another serving of plump grosses atop the box office, gobbling up another $58.6 million, nearly as much as the opening takes of newcomers Wrath of the Titans and Mirror Mirror combined.
The strong hold by the adaptation of the popular young adult literature series was better than that of any of the Twilight movies and was good for eighth-highest second weekend ever (and first among non-sequels). In second place last weekend was Wrath of the Titans, which barely made more than half of the original’s debut, probably because Clash of the Titans was a disappointment that had few viewers clamoring for a sequel. Third place went to trailer trash Mirror Mirror; hopefully Snow White and the Huntsman, one of our Most Anticipated Movies of 2012, doesn’t suffer the same fate.
Here were the top five in the domestic box office last weekend via BOM:
- The Hunger Games — Weekend Gross: $58.6 million — Total Gross: $248.5 million (#1 last week)
- Wrath of the Titans — Weekend Gross: $33.5 million — Total Gross: $33.5 million (new)
- Mirror Mirror — Weekend Gross: $18.1 million — Total Gross: $18.1 million (new)
- 21 Jump Street — Weekend Gross: $14.8 million — Total Gross: $92.9 million (#2 last week)
- Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax — Weekend Gross: $7.8 million — Total Gross: $189.3 million (#3 last week)