May 6, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
The summer blockbuster season began with a huge blast as Iron Man 3 launched with the second highest debut ever at the domestic box office. Who beat Iron Man? Well, technically he did last year when The Avengers shattered and set records on its way to becoming the biggest blockbuster of all time and one of the best movies of 2012.
And what would a Marvel movie be without a stinger? Iron Man 3‘s post-credits extra scene, which reunites Tony Stark with one of the Avengers in a cameo, is flying up MediaStinger’s list of top user rated stingers and is currently already the second highest one of all time. Appropriately, it still has a long way to go to catch up to number one, which is the The Avengers‘ double dose of extra scenes.
One of our most anticipated movies of 2013, Iron Man 3 brought last week’s reigning champ back to earth as Michael Bay comedy thriller Pain & Gain settled for second place, just ahead of Jackie Robinson biopic 42. The baseball drama stayed at third place, while Oblivion, the Tom Cruise sci-fi vehicle that was the previous runner-up, fell to fourth. Rounding out the weekend’s top five, which you can check out below via BOM, was DreamWorks Animation’s The Croods, which managed to stay in fifth place during its seventh weekend of release.
Next weekend, Iron Man 3 looks to be great enough to repeat at the box office against Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, its biggest challenger in wide release.
- Iron Man 3 — Weekend Gross: $174.1 million — Total Gross: $174.1 million (new)
- Pain & Gain — Weekend Gross: $7.5 million — Total Gross: $33.8 million (#1 last week)
- 42 — Weekend Gross: $6.1 million — Total Gross: $78.2 million (#3 last week)
- Oblivion — Weekend Gross: $5.6 million — Total Gross: $75.8 million (#2 last week)
- The Croods — Weekend Gross: $4.2 million — Total Gross: $168.7 million (#5 last week)