April 15, 2013 by Vinnie Leduc
Jackie Robinson biopic 42 not only celebrated an easy win at the domestic box office during its opening weekend, it scored the biggest debut ever for a baseball film. The only sports drama to enjoy a higher grossing rookie take was Oscar Best Picture nominee The Blind Side. The other wide release over the weekend, Scary Movie 5, barely beat holdover The Croods and couldn’t even top the opening gross of fellow horror spoof A Haunted House, which was released earlier this year during the January dumping grounds and didn’t have the advantage of a franchise brand for marketing.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation, which was shot down by the Evil Dead remake and narrowly missed a chance for a repeat win last week, crossed the $100 million mark and got a little revenge as it overtook Evil Dead, which dropped far from its reigning champion position down to fifth place, which you can check out below via BOM.
Next weekend, one of our most anticipated movies of 2013, Oblivion, will almost certainly prevent any 42 winning streak when it hits stateside. It’s already enjoyed a successful international debut over the weekend.
- 42 — Weekend Gross: $27.5 million — Total Gross: $27.5 million (new)
- Scary Movie 5 — Weekend Gross: $14.2 million — Total Gross: $14.2 million (new)
- The Croods — Weekend Gross: $13.1 million — Total Gross: $142.4 million (#3 last week)
- G.I. Joe: Retaliation — Weekend Gross: $10.9 million — Total Gross: $102.5 million (#2 last week)
- Evil Dead — Weekend Gross: $9.5 million — Total Gross: $41.3 million (#1 last week)