April 6, 2015 by Paul Curtin
Furious 7 absolutely smoked the competition over the weekend by pulling in a record-breaking $144 million in its box office debut. The growing fanbase showed up in droves to show support for the beloved franchise after the untimely death of leading star Paul Walker. The seventh film’s opening was not only the highest for the series, but also the highest April debut ever and now ranks ninth on the all-time domestic opening list.
The latest Fast & Furious might be Walker’s last ride, but the popular racing series is showing no signs of slowing down and currently sits at $384 million worldwide. Without any help from China, Japan, and Russia yet, Furious 7 is now on track to hit the $1 billion mark by the end of its run.
Here are the numbers for the top five of the domestic box office over the weekend via BOM:
- Furious 7 — Weekend Gross: $143.6 million — Total Gross: $143.6 million (new)
- Home (2015) — Weekend Gross: $27.4 million — Total Gross: $95.6 million (#1 last week)
- Get Hard — Weekend Gross: $12.9 million — Total Gross: $57 million (#2 last week)
- Cinderella (2015) — Weekend Gross: $10.3 million — Total Gross: $167.2 million (#4 last week)
- The Divergent Series: Insurgent — Weekend Gross: $10 million — Total Gross: $103.4 million (#3 last week)