May 3, 2011 by Paul Curtin
Back in April 2009, the fourth movie in The Fast and the Furious franchise (titled Fast & Furious) brought in $71 million in its opening weekend, so it was a no-brainer that there would be yet another sequel to the fan-favorite car-racing franchise. Race forward to last weekend, and the latest movie Fast Five has broken the previous April box office record held by the previous film by making $86 million.
Bringing in $15 million more than the last film and breaking even more records, you can bet that we’ll see a sixth film in the franchise, especially with the cliffhanger stinger (extra scene) during the credits, which you can check out here. Check out the top 5 films at last weekend’s box office via BOM below:
- Fast Five – Weekend/Total Gross: $86.2 million (new)
- Rio – Weekend Gross: $14.8 million – Total Gross: $104 million (down from #1 last weekend)
- Madea’s Big Happy Family – Weekend Gross: $9.8 million – Total Gross: $40.9 million (down from #2 last weekend)
- Water for Elephants – Weekend Gross: $9.3 million – Total Gross: $32.5 million (down from #3 last weekend)
- Prom – Weekend/Total Gross: $4.7 million (new)