June 27, 2011 by Vinnie Leduc
Despite being Pixar’s worst reviewed film by far with 34% at Rotten Tomatoes, Cars 2 crossed the weekend box office’s finish line in first place with $68 million. The sequel to Pixar’s previously worst reviewed film (Cars has a 74% at RT while Pixar’s other 10 films are all at least 91% at RT) helped keep the powerhouse studio’s streak of top box office debuts alive. Bad Teacher overcame mixed reviews to open at slightly higher than industry expectations with $31 million, good for second place. Lukewarm reception to Green Lantern resulted in a huge 65% decline; conversely, strong word-of-mouth continued to keep Super 8‘s returns steady as it surpassed the entire box office runs of Battle L.A. and Cloverfield. Both Green Lantern and Super 8 should cross the $100 million mark this week as we prepare for the biggest box office weekend when Transformers: Dark of the Moon hits theaters.
Here were the top 5 last weekend via BOM:
- Cars 2 — Weekend Gross: $68 million — Total Gross: $68 million (new)
- Bad Teacher — Weekend Gross: $31 million — Total Gross: $31 million (new)
- Green Lantern — Weekend Gross: $18.4 million — Total Gross: $89.3 million (#1 last week)
- Super 8 — Weekend Gross: $12.1 million — Total Gross: $95.2 million (#2 last weekend)
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins — Weekend Gross: $10.3 million — Total Gross: $39.4 million (#3 last weekend)