June 22, 2011 by Vinnie Leduc
Warner Bros. Pictures’ DC Comics-based Green Lantern flew above fellow opener Mr. Popper’s Penguins and all others at the U.S. box office, but its $53.2 million debut, which is slightly below those of rival Marvel’s X-Men: First Class and Thor, may not have enough green to offset a huge budget and maligned marketing campaign. This isn’t the greatest news for diehard fans and Warner Bros., who had hoped Green Lantern could be the start of a potential franchise series, as indicated by the film’s stinger. Meanwhile, strong reviews for Super 8 (ours included) helped minimize major decrease in its second weekend.
Here were the top 5 last weekend via BOM:
- Green Lantern — Weekend Gross: $35.5 million — Total Gross: $53.2 million (new)
- Super 8 — Weekend Gross: $21.5 million — Total Gross: $73 million (#1 last weekend)
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins — Weekend Gross: $18.4 million — Total Gross: $18.4 million (new)
- X-Men: First Class — Weekend Gross: $11.9 million — Total Gross: $120.4 million (#2 last weekend)
- The Hangover: Part II — Weekend Gross: $10.1 million — Total Gross: $233.1 million (#3 last weekend)