December 6, 2011 by Vinnie Leduc
With no new wide releases at the domestic box office last weekend, it was a slow one that two-time reigning champ The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 easily won by adding another $16.5 million to its total, which is set to cross the $250 million mark domestically this week.
Rounding out the top 5 was a slight reshuffling of the same four family films that battled it out for the runner-up spots last week at the Thanksgiving weekend box office. The Muppets and Arthur Christmas held on to their No. 2 and No. 4 positions, respectively; Hugo expanded into more theaters and consequently switched places with former No. 3 Happy Feet Two.
Next weekend’s new releases, which target a wider spectrum of moviegoers, should shake things up and really test Twilight‘s and these family films’ staying power.
Here were the top 5 in the domestic box office last weekend via BOM:
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 — Weekend Gross: $16.5 million — Total Gross: $247 million (#1 last week)
- The Muppets — Weekend Gross: $11.1 million — Total Gross: $56.4 million (#2 last week)
- Hugo — Weekend Gross: $7.6 million — Total Gross: $25.1 million (#5 last week)
- Arthur Christmas — Weekend Gross: $7.4 million — Total Gross: $25.3 million (#4 last week)
- Happy Feet Two — Weekend Gross: $5.9 million — Total Gross: $51.7 million (#3 last week)