November 28, 2011 by Vinnie Leduc
Twihards continued to feast at the extended Thanksgiving holiday box office last weekend, giving the latest installment in their beloved saga a repeat win over a cornucopia of family films. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 readily crossed the $200 million mark in domestic gross as it raked in $62.3 million over the five-day weekend.
Meanwhile, Disney’s revival of The Muppets proved to be a huge success both critically (98% RT, wow) and commercially, as its $29.5 million opening topped holdover Happy Feet Two and the other two new releases geared towards families, Aardman Animation’s Arthur Christmas and Martin Scorsese’s Hugo, despite all three of these films being additionally featured in 3D.
Here were the top 5 in the domestic box office last weekend via BOM:
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 — Weekend Gross: $42 million — Total Gross: $221.3 million (#1 last week)
- The Muppets — Weekend Gross: $29.5 million — Total Gross: $42 million (new)
- Happy Feet Two — Weekend Gross: $13.4 million — Total Gross: $43.8 million (#2 last week)
- Arthur Christmas — Weekend Gross: $12.7 million — Total Gross: $17 million (new)
- Hugo — Weekend Gross: $11.4 million — Total Gross: $15.4 million (new)