The sequel serving of aging-but-still-raging action stars, Sylvester Stallone’s The Expendables 2, muscled its way to an easy win at the domestic box office last weekend. Although its debut didn’t match the original’s take two summers ago, the testosterone party bumped the previous weekend’s reigning champ, The Bourne Legacy with its new and younger lead Jeremy Renner, to second place. Also opening were ParaNorman, Sparkle, and The Odd Life of Timothy Green, which finished in third, fifth, and seventh places, respectively.
Despite easily three-peating a couple weekends ago after a just-as-easy repeat before that and a record opening for a 2D movie, The Dark Knight Rises fell out of the top five for the first time, ultimately settling for sixth.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- The Expendables 2 — Weekend Gross: $28.6 million — Total Gross: $28.6 million (new)
- The Bourne Legacy — Weekend Gross: $17.1 million — Total Gross: $69.6 million (#1 last week)
- ParaNorman — Weekend Gross: $14.1 million — Total Gross: $14.1 million (new)
- The Campaign — Weekend Gross: $13.1 million — Total Gross: $51.4 million (#2 last week)
- Sparkle — Weekend Gross: $11.6 million — Total Gross: $11.6 million (new)