The addition of 3D and the return of Kate Beckinsale to the other vamps-vs.-wolves franchise pushed Underworld: Awakening ahead of Red Tails, a WWII movie about the segregated Tuskegee Airmen, to take the top spot of the domestic box office as both action films debuted last weekend. Meanwhile, another action film, Steven Soderbergh’s spy flick Haywire, barely cracked the top 5 in its opening, behind Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close at no. 4 as the 9/11 drama expanded from limited release and last week’s champ, Contraband, yet another action film.
The action thriller market gets even more crowded this weekend as The Grey, Man on a Ledge, and One for the Money open. Here were the top 5 in the domestic box office last weekend via BOM:
- Underworld: Awakening — Weekend Gross: $25.4 million — Total Gross: $25.4 million (new)
- Red Tails – Weekend Gross: $19.1 million — Total Gross: $19.1 million (new)
- Contraband — Weekend Gross: $12.2 million — Total Gross: $46.1 million (#1 last week)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close — Weekend Gross: $10.5 million — Total Gross: $11.2 million (#36 last week)
- Haywire — Weekend Gross: $9 million — Total Gross: $9 million (new)
Update: Final numbers showed that Beauty and the Beast 3D snuck by Haywire for fifth.