Ted Higher Than Magic Mike in Bros vs. Man-Hos Box Office Showdown
Ted got higher than Magic Mike at the domestic box office last weekend as the Seth MacFarlane buddy comedy smoked the Channing Tatum stripper movie in a showdown between bros vs. man-hos. Both R-rated films opened to strong numbers and helped contribute to a record total high for a June weekend, but it was the Family Guy creator’s major cinematic debut that came out on top and also scored the highest debut ever for a non-sequel R-rated comedy (beating the first Hangover).
Ted made back its budget in a few days as the raunchy teddy bear movie capitalized on the surprise delaying of G.I. Joe: Retaliation by moving up two weeks from its original July 13 release date. Women got their fill of Channing Tatum regardless though, and it resulted in Magic Mike grossing an amount that was nearly a sexy six times its reported budget. Its $39.13 million opening was over four times the debut of director Steven Soderbergh’s previous film, Haywire, which also featured Tatum, and it was just a happy trail hair away from Soderbergh’s personal best opening, which was $39.15 million by Ocean’s Twelve.
Last week’s reigning champ, Brave, was pushed to third place in its second weekend, and Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection settled for fourth in its debut, a victory considering the last opening movie this weekend, People Like Us, opened at tenth place. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted rounded out the top five, which you can check out below via BOM:
- Ted — Weekend Gross: $54.4 million — Total Gross: $54.4 million (new)
- Magic Mike — Weekend Gross: $39.1 million — Total Gross: $39.1 million (new)
- Brave — Weekend Gross: $34.1 million — Total Gross: $131.8 million (#1 last week)
- Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection — Weekend Gross: $25.4 million — Total Gross: $25.4 million (new)
- Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — Weekend Gross: $11.8 million — Total Gross: $180 million (#2 last week)