December 21, 2015 by Paul Curtin
The return of the Star Wars franchise stormed the box office and broke just about every record possible. The Force Awakens brought in $247.9 million over the weekend and so far has grossed $524.9 million worldwide since its opening on Thursday night.
Along with breaking the weekend record, The Force Awakens also broke the Thursday night record with $57 million, the first day record with $119 million, the fastest film to $100 million in one day, and basically every other record possible other than the largest Saturday opening, which is still held by Jurassic World.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip managed to bring in $14.2 million to place second in its debut, while Sisters took third with $13.9 million.
Here are the numbers for the top five of the domestic box office over the weekend via BOM:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens — Total Gross: $247.9 million (new)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip — Total Gross: $14.2 million (new)
- Sisters — Total Gross: $13.9 million (new)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 — Weekend Gross: $5.8 million — Total Gross: $254.4 million (#1 last week)
- Creed — Weekend Gross: $5 million — Total Gross: $87.8 million (#4 last week)