Resident Evil 5 Exorcises Possession, Loses Nemo
In the second-worst weekend at the domestic box office, nearly as low as last weekend’s, Resident Evil: Retribution managed to hold off the 3D re-release of Finding Nemo while knocking off back-to-back champ The Possession. The very loosely based video game series adaptation’s slightly weaker debut compared to its three previous sequels indicates that the maligned film franchise may finally be losing steam.
Meanwhile, as The Dark Knight Rises nears the dusk of its theatrical run, the reboot trilogy conclusion has overtaken E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial for the #8 spot on the all-time domestic box office chart. It will pass Shrek 2 for 7th this week, where it will likely stay.
Here were the top five via BOM:
- Resident Evil: Retribution — Weekend Gross: $21.1 million — Total Gross: $21.1 million (new)
- Finding Nemo— Weekend Gross: $17.5 million — Total Gross: $17.5 million (re-release), $357.2 million (overall) (new)
- The Possession — Weekend Gross: $5.8 million — Total Gross: $41.2 million (#1 last week)
- Lawless — Weekend Gross: $4.2 million — Total Gross: $30.1 million (#2 last week)
- ParaNorman — Weekend Gross: $3 million — Total Gross: $49.3 million (#5 last week)