Possession Repeats at Worst Box Office Since ’08
Based on a true story, The Possession repeated atop the domestic box office last weekend in what turned out to be the lowest grossing one since 2008, which is probably a more frightening true story for Hollywood. The Sam Raimi production didn’t even crack $10 million in its sophomore weekend, but it was enough to fend off the openings of two movies that were barely marketed, The Words and The Cold Light of Day. The final standings of the top five, which you can check out below via BOM, was the same as last week’s, aside for The Words replacing The Bourne Legacy at fourth place.
- The Possession — Weekend Gross: $9.3 million — Total Gross: $33.2 million (#1 last week)
- Lawless— Weekend Gross: $6 million — Total Gross: $23.5 million (#2 last week)
- The Expendables 2 — Weekend Gross: $5 million — Total Gross: $75.6 million (#3 last week)
- The Words — Weekend Gross: $4.8 million — Total Gross: $4.8 million (new)
- ParaNorman — Weekend Gross: $4.2 million — Total Gross: $45.5 million (#5 last week)