End of Watch Finishes in Close 1st, Dredd Bombs
It started with a pack of four newcomers, became a three-horse race to the finish, dropped the previous weekend’s top two, and ended with one photo-finish winner. Last weekend at the domestic box office, Jake Gyllenhaal cop thriller End of Watch barely held off Jennifer Lawrence horror flick House at the End of the Street and Clint Eastwood’s baseball drama Trouble With the Curve.
Speaking of trouble, Karl Urban sci-fi action remake Dredd opened dreadfully, just falling short of the top five, which you can check out below via BOM, behind the fifth Resident Evil video game adaptation and the second release of Finding Nemo, both in their second weekends. That’s a damn shame because Dredd will definitely be on our end-of-the-year list of biggest surprises.
Meanwhile, as The Dark Knight Rises falls into the dusk of its theatrical run, the reboot trilogy conclusion has overtaken Shrek 2 for the #7 spot on the all-time domestic box office chart, where it’ll most likely settle for now.
- End of Watch — Weekend Gross: $13.2 million — Total Gross: $13.2 million (new)
- House at the End of the Street — Weekend Gross: $17.5 million — Total Gross: $12.3 million (new)
- Trouble With the Curve — Weekend Gross: $12.2 million — Total Gross: $12.2 million (new)
- Finding Nemo— Weekend Gross: $9.6 million — Total Gross: $30.2 million (re-release), $370.3 million (overall) (#2 last week)
- Resident Evil: Retribution — Weekend Gross: $6.7 million — Total Gross: $33.1 million (#1 last week)