An Oscar-buzzy opening for Argo and three other new major releases couldn’t take down the previous weekend’s reigning champ at the domestic box office. After debuting to the third highest October numbers, Liam Neeson action thriller Taken 2 held onto first in a close race that saw Ben Affleck’s Argo and horror flick Sinister capture second and third, respectively.
Hotel Transylvania, Adam Sandler’s computer animated family film which sunk its fangs into the biggest September opening ever last month and crossed the $100 million mark in North America a few days ago, barely trailed Sinister. Sandler’s buddy Kevin James headlined a weak debut for Here Comes the Boom in fifth place, which looked similar to last year’s biggest surprise but still opened to double of Warrior‘s initial take. Acclaimed comedy Seven Psychopaths barely cracked the top 10 at ninth, behind Looper.
Here were the weekend’s top five below via BOM:
- Taken 2 — Weekend Gross: $21.9 million — Total Gross: $86.1 million (#1 last week)
- Argo — Weekend Gross: $19.5 million — Total Gross: $19.5 million (new)
- Sinister — Weekend Gross: $18 million — Total Gross: $18 million (new)
- Hotel Transylvania — Weekend Gross: $17.2 million — Total Gross: $102.1 million (#2 last week)
- Here Comes the Boom — Weekend Gross: $11.8 million — Total Gross: $11.8 million (new)