Safe House Returns Vow‘s Favor in Presidents’ Day Rematch
The extended Presidents’ Day holiday weekend featured a third consecutive close race at the domestic box office. While newcomers Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and This Means War underperformed in their respective third and fifth place debuts, holdovers The Vow and Safe House followed up last weekend’s record-breaking tight finish with another edger, but this time the Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds thriller slipped by the Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum romance.
Taking into account Monday’s holiday revenues, family flick Journey 2: The Mysterious Island actually squeezed past Nicolas Cage’s superhero sequel for third place. Here were the top five in the domestic box office last weekend (three-day totals only) via BOM:
- Safe House — Weekend Gross: $23.6 million — Total Gross: $77.9 million (#2 last week)
- The Vow – Weekend Gross: $23.1 million — Total Gross: $85 million (#1 last week)
- Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance — Weekend Gross: $22.1 million — Total Gross: $22.1 million (new)
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island — Weekend Gross: $19.8 million — Total Gross: $53 million (#3 last week)
- This Means War — Weekend Gross: $17.4 million — Total Gross: $19 million (new)