After smashing box office and MediaStinger records in its debut last week, The Avengers easily repeated at the top of the domestic box office this weekend while breaking even more records. Its estimated $103.2 million take in its second weekend was the highest ever for a sophomore score, shattering the previous second-weekend high of $75.6 million by Avatar.
The closest competition to The Avengers wasn’t much: Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows, starring Johnny Depp. In its opening this weekend, the gothic horror dramedy managed to take a $28.8 million bite. Think Like A Man took third, The Hunger Games finally fell off the medal podium to fourth, and The Lucky One rounded out the top five, which are below via BOM:
- The Avengers — Weekend Gross: $103.2 million — Total Gross: $373.2 million (#1 last week)
- Dark Shadows — Weekend Gross: $28.8 million — Total Gross: $28.8 million (new)
- Think Like A Man — Weekend Gross: $6.3 million — Total Gross: $81.9 million (#2 last week)
- The Hunger Games — Weekend Gross: $4.4 million — Total Gross: $386.9 million (#3 last week)
- The Lucky One — Weekend Gross: $4.1 million — Total Gross: $53.7 million (#5 last week)