Ralph Wrecks Iron Fists, Rattles Flight‘s Takeoff
As if last week’s news of its historic purchase of Lucasfilm wasn’t enough, Disney is back in the headlines with another victory for the Mouse House. Disney’s latest movie, Wreck-It Ralph, not only won the domestic box office weekend by nearly double the gross of its closest competition, but the CGI animated film beat Tangled to set a record for highest opening weekend ever for a Disney Animation (not Pixar) movie, another clear sign that the gaming industry has officially evolved from video games once being considered merely toys to now an entertainment medium with mainstream appeal.
Wreck-It Ralph‘s debut at the top put that of fellow newcomer Flight in the runner-up slot and took some air out of the Denzel Washington vehicle’s success, which came despite not opening in over 2,000 theaters. Ralph really beat up The Man With the Iron Fists though, which debuted in fourth behind last week’s champ, Ben Affleck’s Oscar-buzzy Argo. Liam Neeson thriller Taken 2 climbed back into the top five, which you can check out below via BOM:
- Wreck-It Ralph — Weekend Gross: $49 million — Total Gross: $49 million (new)
- Flight — Weekend Gross: $24.9 million — Total Gross: $24.9 million (new)
- Argo — Weekend Gross: $10.2 million — Total Gross: $75.6 million (#1 last week)
- The Man With the Iron Fists — Weekend Gross: $7.9 million — Total Gross: $7.9 million (new)
- Taken 2 — Weekend Gross: $5.9 million — Total Gross: $125.6 million (#6 last week)